Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Memories: Remembering Rauf Khalid



Munir Ahmed

On the sets of ‘Guest House’ at PTV Islamabad Centre in 1991, I saw a young, well-dressed and well-behaved man very confidently briefing the stock actors of the drama series. Producer and director of the drama series Syed Shakir Uzair delivered his briefing in a desi style while the young man used English words and slangs.

I observed his gestures quite keenly. I did not know his name but I was curious about him. I didn’t dare to ask anyone because I was new and a little shy.

After long discussions with the stock characters and Syed Shakir Uzair, he returned to his seat, which was luckily just adjacent to mine. He shook hands, looked at me carefully and said, ‘Rauf Khalid’.

I introduced myself.

He asked, ‘What role are you performing?’

I told him it was only a supporting role.

‘Are you a Kashmiri?’ he asked.

When I told him I was not, he said, “Your complexion and light hazel coloured eyes give a pure Kashmiri look.’

We exchanged phone numbers and he asked me to meet him the next day.

Those were the days of my struggle and I was exploring every possibility. The next day, I went to meet him at his office in the Civic Centre, G-6 (commonly known as Melody Market). Then, he was working with the Central Board of Revenue (CBR) as a Second Secretary.

We talked about everything we could. Rauf also told me about his paintings and a passion to make a serial on the Kashmir struggle. He very kindly offered me to perform in that serial too besides working for his monthly magazine ‘Knowledge’ that he had launched from Islamabad.

He invited me to his home in Sector G-9/3 for our next meeting. During my visit, he showed me his village landscapes and paintings of horses with beautiful feminine eyes.

I saw him working hard for his brainchild ‘Guest House’, the popular comedy series of PTV’s Islamabad Centre. I know how hard he worked for the production of drama serial ‘Angar Wadi’ that he produced and co-directed in collaboration with the ISPR and PTV. It was the first time that ‘real effects’ were used on screen similar to those used in Hollywood. This serial helped him financially and he moved from G-9/3 to his own house in F-11/3.

Later on, he produced another super-hit serial ‘Laag’ for PTV. Somehow, his first and last film ‘Laaj’ turned out a big flop because it was not a formula film. His close friends know that he wanted to produce ‘Once upon a time in India’ with Julia Roberts performing the lead role. Somehow, it did not work out.

About four years back, he entered into a public-private partnership with the Lok Virsa. He infused life into it by establishing Craft Bazaar, Virsa Cafe and an institute for cultural studies. I personally know that he put in every effort to popularise this venue.

Somehow, I could not have the chance to work with him, but we remained in the loop of friendship that lasted until his last breath, and continues even after. He was sharp, smart, innovative and a workaholic with all nationalism. He delivered to the nation what many could not.

No comments: